About Govilon

Christ Church Govilon

Christ Church GovilonIt was not until the mid nineteenth century that a church was built in Govilon. Before then the Llanwenarth Parish stretched over both sides of the River Usk and residents in Govilon had to travel by ferry across the river to St Peter’s Church. The river crossing was not without risk and so in 1848 building work start on Christ Church. The new Church with Chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, vestry and incomplete western tower was consecrated in 1860. In 1865 the Parish of Llanwenarth Ultra was created for the Govilon area.

The Reverend George Grove was the first Rector. He was also responsible for the construction of the Rectory, the Church Hall, the school chapel in Pwlldu in 1873, and the extension of the National School.

Today the parish of Govilon is in the benefice of Govilon, Llanfoist and Llanelen, which is in the deanery of Abergavenny. Further details can be acquired through the Diocese website.

Supported by Dafydd Vaughan