Historical Records

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire 1891




LLANWENARTH ULTRA is a parish formed in 1865 from the civil parish of Llanwenarth Citra, on the river Usk, with a station at Govilon (in the parish) on the Abergavenny and Merthyr branch of the London and North Western railway, and contains the ecclesiastical district of Christ Church, 2½ miles north-west from Abergavenny, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Abergavenny, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

Christ Church, situated in the village of Govilon, is a building of stone in the Early English style, erected in 1848, and consecrated in 1860; it consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, vestry and an incomplete western tower containing one bell and vestry; there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1860. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charges £205, with residence, in the gift of the rector of Llanwenarth Citra, and held since 1865 by the Rev. George Grove B.A. of Christ’s College, Cambridge. There is a Baptist chapel, founded in 1652.

Llanwenarth House is the seat of James Humfrey esq, M.A., J.P.

The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are James Humfrey esq. M.A. J.P., Col. William Henry Wheeley J.P., and Major John Griffiths Wheeley D.L. J.P.

The soil is sandy; subsoil, stone. The land is chiefly in pasture. The area is 2,433 acres of land and 22 of water; rateable value, £4,342, the population in 1881 was 1,539, the ecclesiastical district of Christ Church containing about 900.

GOVILON is a large village in the parish of Llanwenarth Ultra, with a population of about 500. Here is a stone building containing hall and reading room, erected in 1889 at a cost of £300, defrayed by the present rector, 1865-98. The hall will hold 80 people. The parish church, Baptist chapel, public schools, post.office and railway station are all in this village. Parish Clerk and Sexton, John Harper.

National School, erected, with residence, in 1846, enlarged in 1860, for 120 children; average attendance, 80. Thomas Chambers, master; Miss Harriet Ball, infants’ mistress.

Post Office, Govilon – Mrs Eliza Williams, sub-postmistress. Letters from Abergavenny arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. & Sundays 9.25 a.m. Gilwern is the nearest order & telegraph office. Postal Orders are issued here, but not paid.

British School (mixed), erected in 1861, for 80 children: average attendance 60: Alfred John Emery, master

Govilon Railway Station, Thomas Millne Youngson, station master

PWLL-DU is a hamlet in the parish of Llanwenarth Ultra, situate amongst the hills at an altitude of 1,400 feet, 5 miles south-west from Abergavenny. The inhabitants are all miners or colliers or engaged in the limestone works belonging to the Blaenavon Iron Company. Church mission services are held every Sunday in the National school bv a lay reader. There is a Baptist and Congregational Union chapel and a Wesleyan chapel. The hill scenery in the neighbourhood is magnificent.

National School, erected in 1870, for 120 children; average attendance, 90. Harry Buswell, master

GARNDYRRIS is a hamlet of the parish of Llanwenarth Ultra, amongst the hills at an altitude of 1,000 feet and 4 miles south-west from Abergavenny: it is almost depopulated, the iron works formerly here having been removed to Blaenavon


Lewis Benjamin J.P., Glanbaiden

Hughson Evan, farmer, Pentwyn
Jones Zephaniah, farmer, Cadfor Farm
Joshua Joshua, farmer, White House
Lewis John, farmer, Tilla farm
Lewis Joshua farmer, Bryn y Cwm
Lewis William, farmer, Maesyfellin
Morgan Aythan, farmer, Brook farm
Morgan John, farmer, Hop Yard farm
Morgan William, farmer, Cwm farm
Taylor John, farmer, Red house
Thomas David, farmer, Cwm
Williams Sidney, farmer, Llanwenarth House Farm


Brangwynne T.D. The Cottage
Edwards Henry, Ty-clyd
Godfrey Miss, Devwendeg
Grove Rev Geo B.A. (rector), Rectory
Humfrey Jas, M.A., J.P., Llanwenarth house
Jones Arthur, Folley
Lewis Benjamin
Morgan William James, Hope house
Prosser Charles, Folley
Williams Miss, The Rectory

Allen Thomas, farmer, Boat Farm
Amyes Thomas, miller (water), corn, manure, seed & cider merchant,
Davies Joseph, carpenter, builder & wheelwright: estimates given
George Isaac, Bridge End Inn
Jones Richard, farmer, Govilon house
Lewis Jn, assistant overseer, Up-mill House
Parry William, farmer, Tucking mill
Parry William, farmer, Tilla
Parry Zephaniah, farmer, Maes-y-berean
Prosser John, Gardeners’ Arms P.H.
Reynalt William, Old Three Cocks P.H
Thomas Mary (Mrs.), Green Dragon P.H.
Thomas Mary (Mrs.), grocer
Thomas William Knight, grocer
Vaughan Mary(Mrs), Lion P.H
Vaughan Samuel, Butchers’ Arms P.H.


Aubrey Aubrey, grocer
Norman William, Lamb P.H


Kelly John, Queen Victoria P.H
Probert Thomas, Royal Oak P.H

Go to the Govilon Village homepage Go to the Govilon History site