Historical Records

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire 1901




LLANWENARTH ULTRA is a parish formed in 1865 from the civil parish of Llanwenarth Citra, on the river Usk, with a station at Govilon (in the parish) on the Abergavenny and Merthyr branch of the London and North Western railway, and contains the ecclesiastical district of Christ Church, 2½ miles north-west from Abergavenny, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Abergavenny, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

Christ Church, in the village of Govilon, is a building of stone in the Early English style, erected in 1848, and consecrated in 1860; it consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, vestry and an incomplete western tower containing one bell: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1860. The living is a rectory, net income £157, including 1½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the rector of Llanwenarth Citra, and held since 1898 by the Rev. Charles Henry Edward Cropper. There is a Baptist chapel, founded in 1652.

Llanwenarth House is the seat of Frederick Morgan Humfrey, M.A., J.P.

The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are F. M. Humfrey esq., Lieut.Col. William Henry Wheeley and Lieut.-Col. James Seager Wheeley, both of The Pentre, Abergavenny.

The soil is sandy; subsoil, stone. The land is chiefly in pasture. The area is 2,433 acres of land and 22 of water. The rateable value is £3,648, the population in 1891 was 1,406, the ecclesiastical district of Christ Church containing 1,058.

Parish Clerk and Sexton: John Harper.

GOVILON is a large village in the parish of Llanwenarth Ultra, with a population of about 500. Here is a stone building containing hall and reading room, erected in 1889 at a cost of £300, defrayed by the Rev. George Grove B.A., rector, 1865-98. The hall will hold 80 people. The parish church, Baptist chapel, public schools, post office and railway station are all in this village.

Post & M.O.O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Govilon. Joseph Davies, sub-postmaster.
Letters from Abergavenny arrive at 7 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. & sti@da3-s 9.25 ,i.m. Gilwern is the nearest telegraph Office, 2 miles distant.

Govilon Railwiy Station, Thomas Milne Youngson, station master

National School, erected, with residence, in 1846, enlarged in 1860, for 112 children; average attendance, 86. Arthur T. Jenkins, master.

PWLL-DU is a hamlet in the parish of Llanwenarth Ultra, amongst the hills at an altitude of 1,400 feet, 5 miles south-west from Abergavenny. The inhabitants are all miners or colliers or engaged in the limestone works belonging to the Blaenavon Iron Company. Church mission services are held on occasional Sundays in the National school by the rector. There is a Baptist and Congregational Union chapel and a Wesleyan chapel. The hill scenery in the neighbourhood is magnificent.

National School, erected in 1870, for 120 children; average attendance, 70. Mrs. M. S. Armstrong, mistress

GARNDYRRIS is a hamlet of the parish of Llanwenarth Ultra, lying amongst the hills at an altitude of 1,000 feet and 4 miles south-west from Abergavenny.


Bosanquet Victor, Glanbaiden
Lewis Mrs

Jones Zephaniah, farmer, Cadfor Farm, Boat farm, Llanwenarth House farm. & Pentwyn.
Lewis James, farmer, Maesyfellin
Lewis Walter, farmer
Morgan Edward, rate collector & farmer, Brook farm
Morgan John, farmer, Hop Yard farm
Morgan William, farmer, Cwm farm & Bryny Cwm
Parry Thomas, farmer, White house
Taylor John, farmer, Red house
Thomas David, farmer, Cwm


Cropper Rev. Charles Henry Edward, (rector), Rectory
Hiley Lemuel, Ty-clyd
Humfrey Frederic Morgan, M.A., J.P., Llanwenarth house
Jones Arthur, Folley
Morgan William James, Hope house
Prosser Charles, Folley
Williams Rev. Thos. Hy. (Baptist), Greenfield
Williams Wm. Edwin J.P., Tyclyd

Amyes Thomas, miller (water), corn, feeding cakes, manure, seed & cider merchant, & agent for Norrington Hingston & Co. (Bristol) manures
Davies Joseph, carpenter, shopkeeper & post office
Davies Thomas, farmer, Maes-y-berllan
Evans Thomas, Bridge End inn
Griffiths Daniel, Gardeners' Arms P.H.
Hughson Edwin, grocer
Jones Anne (Mrs.), farmer, Govilon house
Jones Thomas, Butchers' Arms P.H
Parry William, farmer, Tilla
Parry William, farmer, Tucking mill
Price Thos. farmer, Upper Mill house
Thomas Mary (Mrs.), Green Dragon P.H.
Vaughan Margaret Annie (Miss), Lion P.H. & blacksmith
Vaughan Jane (Mrs.), Old Three Cocks P.H


Webb William, Lamb P.H


Williams John, Queen Victoria P.H
Probert Mary (Mrs.), Royal Oak P.H

Go to the Govilon Village homepage Go to the Govilon History site